Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

I’ve Still Got It

We had our baby boy’s blessing at the beginning of the month. When I knew it was coming up, I thought about trying to make him something to wear, but I would always put that idea out of my head as quickly as it arrived. With a new baby to care for, I haven’t entertained the possibility of getting any sewing done; I figured it would be months before I took the cover off “Old Reliable” and had some quality time with her.

But I didn’t really have anything for my little guy to wear to his blessing. I had a white kimono, but I wanted something a little fancier for my first (maybe only?) boy. We went shopping on the Friday before the blessing. I didn’t know where to find a white blessing outfit for a boy, but I was more interested in putting him in some nice looking church clothes anyway. Well, we searched many stores with no results. They had handsome looking clothes, but the smallest size I could find was 12 months. Apparently, boys don’t like to dress up when only 0-3 months.

Getting desperate, I tried to settle for something that was close enough. That’s when my smart hubby put his foot down. He said we weren’t going to buy something when I could make something even better. I tried to point out to him that I would only have one day to make something when I previously gave up the idea of making something when I had 2 weeks. He promised me he would take care of the kids and give me as much time to work as possible. He figured it wouldn’t take me too long to throw together a neck tie onesie, but I wanted to take it a step further and try something new.

Here’s how it turned out:111111_0018-1a web111111_0014-1a web111112_0011-1a web

I got this far, and my husband and I decided it was missing just one thing . . .

111112_0014-1a webElbow patches!111111_0019-1a web

Now that made it perfect. I loved it so much, I decided to give it a name: The Dapper Onesie. And the family didn’t fall apart while I was making it. In the past, a project like this would have taken me several days and several nervous fits, but I think all the practice I’ve had lately has paid off. It still took me all day. But I had to make my own pattern for the vest (yikes!), and I had never tried either of the tutorials before. Cut out time for eating and nursing and taking over when baby only wanted mommy, and I think I managed pretty well. If I had had more time, I would have made some booties to match, but I consoled myself by saying they would have fallen off anyway.

I didn’t come up with this all on my own. I’m no creative genius. I have to glean creativity from all the other amazing people I find on the web. Here’s what I did. I combined this tutorial for the vest with this tutorial for the bow tie, and the elbow patches were all me. I love how it turned out, and it felt so good to actually get some sewing done.

And this is the part where I get to show off pictures of how handsome my little guy looked . . .111106_0008-1a web111106_0013-1a web111106_0037-1a webwith his two doting sisters111106_0044-1a web111106_0069-1a webI think he looks rather dapper, don’t you?

Oh, and just for fun, I thought I’d share my “repeat” song for my completed projects. I tend to listen to music while I work on things, and more often than not, one song dominates the others in frequency. I tend to pause what I’m doing to make my favorite song play again before I can get back to work. I thought it would be fun to share so we could compare tastes, and one day I can look back at what songs I liked at what time. For this project, my repeat song was “Come Around” by Rosi Golan:

I’m sharing this post with the following link parties:

MakingThe Girl CreativePhotobucket

9 comments:

  1. it turned out great! I love your hubby's faith in you. I'd love it if you would add this to my link party at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/2011/11/what-i-wore-wednesdays-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohmygoodness! He's so handsome. And I'm just in love with the little elbow patches...I'm gonna have to use that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, that is ADORABLE.
    And good call by your husband!

    If I had known you were wanting a white boy's outfit, I'd have sent you over to Baby Depot. They usually have all sorts of baby dress-up outfits and Christening outfits.
    (I was lucky that a friend of the family made blessing outfits for my duo ... and now I'm debating on whether to have this new one wear her sister's dress ... or should I buy her one of her own? This way they'll all have something to hand down to THEIR kids? *throws hands up* I just don't know!)

    But your little man looks WONDERFUL.
    And the elbow patches are AWESOME. Very nice touch! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so cute! Your husband really is awesome. I know Will is big enough now to buy for, but I still want to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really cute Jocelyn! I love the vest fabric.

    And how did you get that little arm around your machine to sew on the elbow patches?! I've tried to do something similar, but the armhole/neck wasn't big enough to go all around the circle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! It's funny, I think it is somehow easier to sew when you have new baby #3 or 4, than an earlier child. Everyone gets tougher somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carolyn, I didn't get the arm around the machine. I have a really old machine that is quite big on the bottom, so nothing gets around it. I just had to stretch the sleeve and go slowly, moving the hole as I went to make sure it wasn't underneath. It's kinda hard to explain. I hope that made sense. I don't know if this would work with some of the newer machines that go really fast (is there any way to slow them down?). My machine can go really slow if I want it to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my he is so adorable! The onesie is absolutely precious as well but I'm stuck on him! What a doll. I hope you'll stop by and link up to Make It Wear It Thursday (opening Wednesday evening).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, he looks sooooooo handsome in that! It's adorable, Jocelyn! Love that your husband gave you the time you needed and encouraged you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and leave a comment! I read them all. (If you ask a question, please leave your e-mail so I can contact you directly.)