Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Book Review: The Trouble with Chickens

The Trouble With ChickensThe Trouble With Chickens by Doreen Cronin
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I put this on hold at the library based solely on a picture of the cover I saw. I thought it might be fun to start reading chapter books to my oldest, and she loves books involving chickens. I read it myself before trying to read it with my daughter. The inside flap said ages 8-12, and I could see why. There was nothing offensive in the book, but the dog had a sort-of snide, sarcastic attitude that my 5-year-old probably wouldn't understand that it was meant to be comical.

I went ahead and read the book. It's not like it was a difficult book to read. I might consider reading it with my kids when they are older. It's basically a kidnapping/hostage situation except with animals instead of people, using the animals as comic relief to keep it from getting too tense. It didn't seem to teach any lessons or have much literary value. I'm sure there are better books, but if you're just looking for some "fluff" for your kids to read, this one would be fine.

What are you reading with your kids these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and leave a comment! I read them all. (If you ask a question, please leave your e-mail so I can contact you directly.)